The results of the project
1) the Preliminary Action gave the following results:
a) the territorial survey named “Rapporto di studio sulla situazione territoriale” is composed of 28 chapters and more than 90 pages with colour illustrations of the project’s area, GIS & CAD cartographies, tables, present and historical images. It describes the environment of the area, the climate, the hydro-geological aspects and particularly the state of the local agriculture in its environmental, economical and technical aspects with a general assessment on the agricultural soils. The survey was realised by the Dep. of Agroenvironmental Sciences and Technologies with the collaboration of ARSIAL (editing and GIS mapping) and the external services of the Consorzio di Bonifica (historical data and CAD mapping). Download the report in Adobe Acrobat (PDF 2.659 Kb, only in Italian language)
b) The site designed for the realisation of the demonstrative plant was selected and the farm with the best fitting requirements to the demonstration. A report in Italian language entitled ““Rapporto di localizzazione dell’area” was produced, containing 15 pages, images, GIS maps and tables. The report was realised by the Dep. of Agroenvironmental Sciences and Technologies with the collaboration of ARSIAL (editing and GIS mapping) and the external services of the Consorzio di Bonifica (CAD tables). The site was selected within the Salto di Fondi plain.
c) the methodologies required for the construction of the model was defined, selecting the crops, the cycles and planning the demonstrative model. The technical and environmental variables to be took in consideration, the selection of the crop varieties, the experimental design for the plots to be confronted, the monitoring of the environmental and physiological protocols, all these have been planned. The work was realised by the Dep. of Agroenvironmental Sciences and Technologies with the collaboration of ARSIAL (editing) and collected into the report “Rapporto di definizione impostazioni tecniche delle prove dimostrative” (only in Italian language).
d) The demonstration structure was equipped and composed by two greenhouses of 1480 square meters each. The sustainable greenhouse was equipped with all the technologies forecasted both for the trial crops (creation of field trials, monitoring equipments) and for the defrosting plant by groundwater recycling display.
The sustainable greenhouse model management action saw the realisation
of four crop cycles:
The images of the different development stages of the crops both of the aerial and root parts are reported in the section "The greenhouse" - "crops" of this website.
3) The Global Balance action saw the analysis of the agronomic results, of the production, and the economic and environmental balance of the 4 crops through an LCA (Life Cycle Analysis) evaluation too. It was the first time that in Italy LCA was applied to greenhouse crops. The global analysis was related in the report on the analytical activity of the third year. In this report are illustrated also the results of the field trials on the problems of the thermal regulation of the greenhouse (thermal screen utilisation, too) and water save. Moreover, a summary presentation was realised illustrating surveys and environmental results achieved on the four crops trials. .
From the comparative assessment of the four crop cycles it was stressed that, thanks to the integrated utilisation of measurement systems for the water content of the soil and for the physiological state of the plants (precision agriculture), it was possible to reduce the input of water, primary good, and of the nitrogen, a production factor linked to environmental risks.
Respect to the local trend, decreasing the water and nitrogen inputs till to 30%, were obtained production levels perfectly similar to those usual in the area
The utilisation of compost and zeolites had stressed a different root development respect to the conventional soil
The utilisation of quality compost enabled to solve
The utilisation of a thermic screen enabled to reduce massively the use of water in the irrigation heating system presently utilised in the area with fair thermic results and lowered the morning condense impact enabling to reduce the number of the chemical treatments to the crops.
|Download the description of the four
crop trials with production evaluations:
The report on the first crop trial– zucchini – in Adobe Acrobat, 32 pages (in Italian only PDF 1.341 KB)
The report on the second and third crops trials – tomato and zucchini – in Adobe Acrobat, 31 pages (in Italian only PDF 1.389 KB)
The report on the fourth crop trial – tomato – in Adobe Acrobat, 26 pages (in Italian only PDF 828 KB)
|Download the reports on the analytical activity
and the results of global balance evaluation:
The analytical report on the first crop trial – zucchini – in Adobe Acrobat, 76 pages (in Italian only PDF 1.438 KB)
The analytical report on the second and third crops trials – tomato and zucchini – in Adobe Acrobat, 73 pages (in Italian only PDF 673 KB)
The report on the fourth crop trial – tomato – and on global balance of the four crops with the field trials on the problems of the thermal regulation of the greenhouse (thermal screen utilisation, too) and water save in Adobe Acrobat, 135 pages (in Italian only PDF 2.244 KB)
|Download the Summary presentation on the four crops trials results (PDF 756 Kb in English)|
|Download the Layman's report with the global results (PDF 1.974Kb in English)|
4) The Continuous Information , Dissemination, Training action targeted to dissemination gave the following results:
1) the actual website.
2) The organisation of didactical guided visits to the greenhouse sustainable model with the global participation of 994 students and 63 teachers and technicians of 7 different educational institutions.
3) The realisation of various information items (didactical posters, leaflets, videos, etc...) which could be downloaded from the "Download" area of this website.
|4) The creation of an educational game for teenagers to learn what is sustainable agriculture at the same time as they play. Play the game (optimised for Internet Explorer)|
|5) The creation an animated presentation of 7 minutes length to learn what is the sustainable greenhouse project. See the presentation (optimised for Internet Explorer)|
6) The realisation of a training course for technicians, planned in a frontal phase with 10 lessons by university teachers and a practical phase with 4 stages in farms and a final workshop. The course had 29 technicians inscribed. All the documentation on the training course and the lessons (in Italian) are downloadable from the "To the students" - "training course" area of this website.
|7) The realisation of a practical handbook (in Italian) on sustainable protected horticulture in 12 chapters of university authors and 255 pages. The handbook was printed in 5,000 copies. Download the internet version of the handbook with interactive content and links (PDF 4.361 Kb).|